It’s time to resurrect this post on one of my favourite makeup products – mascara!
This post is still dedicated to my dear Dauphiine at Tiaras & Trianon as she and I are probably the biggest mascara-addicts of all! (Haha!) I have tested many mascaras over the years and I’d like to share my favourite mascaras from high-end brands and drugstores:
Best High-End Mascaras
- Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes – If this CT comes out with a waterproof (and smudge-proof) mascara, I’m sure that it would be my HG mascara! In the meantime, this mascara is worth all the hype and is my favourite mascara. Depending on how many coats you add, you can go for a subtle or dramatic look with this.
- Dejavu Fiberwig Paint-on False Lashes Extra Long – This is the perfect mascara for travelling! Amanda from WWKD highly praised djv imju Beautenizer Fiberwig LX so I asked my Mum to buy one for me. Turns out, djv came out with quite a few of these fiberwig mascaras so my Mum found the newest one (2013), which was packaged with an eyeliner. There are quite a few things I love about this mascara: 1) No smudging at all, 2) easy to wash off, 3) no clumping. At the same time, it isn’t waterproof. It should only come off with warm water but cold water has washed off my mascara (it comes off like acrylic paint). (So don’t wear this if you might cry that day.) Because it uses fibre lashes, I found that the lashes would clump the wand and require a bit of cleaning every now and then.
- Lancome Hypnose Doll Eyes Waterproof – Currently, this is my Holy Grail mascara. It doesn’t clump, it separates and curls lashes, and it really is waterproof so cry all you want! There is also a light fragrance but this may end up irritating those with sensitive sinuses. Unfortunately, it will smudge oily eyelids. 😦
- Lancôme L’Extrême – This mascara defines, extends, and volumnises lashes like no other! It’s close to CT Full Fat Lashes but I still prefer the former.
- Two Faced BTS (Better Than Sex) – Well, that was embarrassing to type. I think a better name would be Better Than Eyeliner but that wouldn’t sound so appealing. You can definitely skip the eyeliner with this one. Lashes are instantly volumnised, but beware of applying too many coats as it can clump. I usually apply once, let it dry a bit, then apply a second coat or third. Two Faced has finally come out with a waterproof version but I’m not sure if it’s smudge proof.
- Lancome Hypnose Custom Volume – I was lucky to find this mascara on sale for $19.99 at Winners. It’s like Hypnose Waterproof (see below) but not as sticky and my lashes definitely appeared longer! No wonder Hypnose has been a bestseller for 6 years! At the same time, because it’s not waterproof or smudge-proof, it can smudge just a bit.
- Lancome: Hypnose Waterproof – After reading WWKD’s review on Lancome: Hypnose mascara, I decided to give it a try. I was amazed how it not only lengthened my usually hidden or downcast lashes (as in, brought it out), but it had actually curled my straight lashes (more like lifted).
- Bobbi Brown No Smudge – There really is no smudging with this mascara, so this is the best for those with oily eyelids! I loved this mascara but reviewers were correct when warning buyers that this mascara does have a tendency to dry up more quickly. Furthermore, if you’re looking for a mascara that will give you volume, length, or curl, I don’t think this mascara did either for me.
- Benefit They’re Real! – This travel size mascara was Sephora’s birthday gift to its loyal customers in 2013. At the time I preferred the plastic brush plus the bristles on the tip of the wand, allowing you to lengthen and curl your lashes. Unfortunately, not very smudge-proof for those with oily lids!
- Clinique High Lengths – This fine toothed wand gives you long lashes without clumping. No volume though.
Best Drugstore Mascaras
- L’Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Waterproof – Read my full review here. This is the drugstore dupe of Hypnose Doll Eyes in my opinion, so if you can’t afford the former, go for this one!
- Bourjois Dark Khol – Lashes are curled in the blackest of black. Too bad it’s not waterproof!
- Rimmel Scandaleyes Lycra Flex – The brush is a little too big, especially for my shorter lashes, but I’d say this is the drugstore dupe of BTS.
- Maybelline the Falsies Big Eyes Waterproof – I kept seeing this new mascara in every fashion/beauty magazine and it was the duo wands (for upper and lower lashes) that made me want to try this mascara. I wasn’t expecting too much from this mascara, so I was hardly surprised that my upper lashes could become clumpy after two or more coats. I use a curler for a fuller effect. As for my almost-invisible bottom lashes, the wand is just perfect to add a tint of black. Currently, it’s another one of my go-to mascaras – just for the bottom lash wand.
- Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume – I can’t say I was entirely impressed with this. The bristles appeared to be too short to do any good. Otherwise, it really is waterproof. Many consider this Lash Blast to be their favourite, as it provides volume and curl – but not length – to those with sparse and shorter lashes.
Mascaras that did not work out for me…
Cover Girl: Clump Crusher Water-resistant – One beauty blogger put this mascara on the top of her list because it really wouldn’t clump and it was one of the mascaras she could put on without a mirror. The brush material is similar to Benefit’s They’re Real but the shape is more curved. While it certainly crushes the clumps, I didn’t find it very water-resistant as it is supposed to be easy to wash off with water.
I wish I’d returned this $9 mascara. 😦 I think the non-waterproof version received higher ratings, as well as the Clump Crusher Extensions. However, after playing around with this mascara, I started to prefer Clump Crusher to They’re Real! However, I still don’t like how it’s not waterproof. ☆☆☆
Cover Girl: Professional All-in-one – This mascara on Cover Girl was highly recommended. One reviewer emphasised that it stayed put after all the sweating from the gym. ‘Surely, this must be for me,’ I thought. The brush was boring, I felt like I barely had any mascara on (like LashEm), and sadly, it did smudge at the corner of my eyes. Another waste of $9. ☆
Lancome: Hypnose Drama – If you’re looking for darker lashes with more thickness, this is the one for you. Drama is dramatic lashes. One coat is enough to make your lashes stand out. Otherwise, you’ll end up with clumpy looking lashes. Oh, and it will smudge. :S I see there are also 2 other versions of Drama: waterproof and the Lanvin show. ☆ ☆ ☆
LashEm: Double Trouble – I was given a baby mascara with only one type of brush. This mascara is supposed to be volumising and lengthening. I’m not sure how much product was in it but when I tried to use it, I felt like there was barely any product going on my lashes. Maybe my baby tube was drying up? Too bad – it seemed promising. ☆
I hope that helps! If you don’t see one that you highly recommend, feel free to recommend it to me! 😉
[dropshadowbox align=”center” effect=”lifted-both” width=”autopx” height=”” background_color=”#c9efd3″ border_width=”1″ border_color=”#dddddd” inside_shadow=”false” ]This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a very small compensation if you click on the link and when you purchase an item. This allows me to keep my site running. Thank you for your support![/dropshadowbox]
lancome hypnose doll eyes is one of my fave mascaras x
Thank you for visiting my blog, Heather! 🙂 I love Dolly Eyes and hope it will never be discontinued.
Is L’Extreme new? I have not heard of it my dear! Naturally I’m blushing like nobody’s business to have a post dedicated to me. Extreme flattery ahoy! But I must say, Doll Lashes is not my cup of tea…I don’t like that brush. I favor Hypnose if we’re going Lancôme…I just dig that spoon shape!
On the complete other end of the spectrum–mask your shock–I like Maybelline Falsies Big Eyes! I don’t know when I fell out of love with Voluminous…it’s as if they changed the formula or something. I bought the Butterfly and I just don’t love it…maybe it’s the brush shape again.
Some of the other recommendations are new to me and I’d be interested to try them! Thanks again for the dedication! xxxx
Oh you haven’t heard of L’Extreme? I had this at the end of 2013 so it’s been around. 🙂 I received it in a gift basket that I’d ‘won’ at a charity auction.
You didn’t like Doll Lashes? Well, I suppose that’s why there are so many different types of wands in Lancome’s Hypnose collection. I wasn’t a fan of Stars, for example. Hypnose custom/original is a little similar to L’Extreme but I prefer the latter. 🙂
I think I have tried Maybelline’s Falsies Big Eyes. I didn’t use the bigger brush as much but the smaller brush really made my life easier since I have very sparse lower lashes.
Yes, Butterfly’s wand takes some getting used to but that formula is amazing! I suppose you could always try using another brush if they flared wand is too weird to use.