Princess Sofia comes from a fictitious kingdom and is a biracial child (though she’s been referred to – incorrectly, according to Disney – as a Latina or Hispanic princess): she’s half-Enchanchian and half-Galdazian. According to one article, Disney stressed that they didn’t mean for her to be Latina but it just so happens that her mother has darker skin and comes from a fictitious place with Latin influences… Ok, so that makes her queen mother Disney’s 1st Hispanic royal and by default, she (Princess Sofia) is a Latina princess.
- Disney’s first Latina princess sparks race debate (cbc.ca)
- Backlash for Disney’s first Latina princess (updatednews.ca)
- Disney Debuts First Latina Princess (buzzfeed.com)
- Disney’s First Latina Princess Isn’t Latin Enough For Some (dlisted.com)
- Jeneé Osterheldt | Disney taps diversity for its newest princess (kansascity.com)