Fact of the day: Halloween is a “new” event for the Germans. It is celebrated mainly by children and some young adults. Unlike in N. America, where one can choose to wear a scary or a fun costume, one would dress up in their scariest costume in Germany. Fun costumes – anything from being Cinderella to being a flower pot to a ‘one night stand’ – are for Fasching (carnival) in February (FYI: right before Lent!).
On Sundays (Sonntage) in Munich, most museum tickets (Eintrittskarte) cost 1€ (all ages). These museums are generally open between 10-18:00, though some are only opened till 17:00 or 17:30.
Have a look at the list of 1€ * (some if not all are now 2€ for adults) Sunday Museums (source: muenchen.de):
- Ägyptische Museum (Egyptian museum) – two halls inside the Residenz. Interesting but not worth the usual 4/5€ entry fee.
- Staatlichen Münzsammlung (Coin Museum) – also inside the Residenz.
- Archäologische Staatssammlung (Archaeological State Collection)
- Bayerische Nationalmuseum (Bavarian National Museum)
- Galerie Schack – contains late Romantic art
- Staatliche Antikensammlungen (State of Antiquities museum) – three floors for Greek, Roman, and Etruscan art respectively inside the Glypothek building but separate from the main museum. Note that there are some items that are copies of the originals, some of which can be found in the Glypothek.
- Museum Brandhorst – contemporary art
- Museum Mensch und Natur (Museum for People & Nature)
- Museum für Völkerkunde (formerly Museum Fünf Kontinente / Five Continents)
- Pinakotheken – three buildings for paintings: Alte, Neue, and Moderne. Note that the Pinakothek der Moderne is the most expensive of the three, as it usually costs 10€, so you save 90% on Sundays!
If you want to save more money, you can visit the following museums for free (but please note the opening hours):
- Arthotek – Wed & Fri 14-18:00, Thurs 14-19:30, Sat 9-13:00
- Geologisches Museum (Geological Museum) – Mon-Thurs 8-16:00, Fri 8-14:00, 1st Sun of the month 10-16:00
- Kaiserburg – Mon-Sat 10-18:00
- Kartoffelmuseum (Potato Museum) – Fri 9-18:00 & Sat 11-17:00
- Kunstarkaden -Tues-Sat 13-19:00
- Lothringer 13
- Münchner Feuerwehrmuseum (Firefighting Museum) – Sat 9-16:00
- Museum für Abgüsse klassischer Bildwerke (Museum for Classical Casts/Sculptures) – Mo-Fri 10-20:00
- Paläontologisches Museum (Museum of Palaeontology) – Mon-Thurs 8-16:00, Fri 8-14:00, 1st Sun of the month 10-16:00
- Pinakothek der Moderne – FREE on Wednesdays only, 10-18:00
- Rathausgalerie (Town Hall Gallery) – Tues-Sun 11-19:00
- Sammlung Goetz – Thurs-Fri 14-18:00, Sat 11-14:00