Did you know that the best time see tulips (in the Netherlands) is in mid-April?
Every year between mid-March to mid-May, the Keukenhof (literally ‘Kitchen Garden’ in Dutch) in Lisse is opened to the public with a different theme. This year, the theme is on Dutch Design, from fashion to graphic design to architecture. When I visited in 2009, it happened to be the 60th anniversary of the Keukenhof and the 400th anniversary of when Henry Hudson arrived in Manhattan and established New Amsterdam (now NY).
With 7 million flowers over 79 acres (32 hectares) of land, Keukenhof is the Disneyland of flowers in Europe. In fact, it is known as the Garden of Europe (continental Europe, I might add). Everywhere you walk or cycle is bursting with colour.
There are three upcoming events that I think would interest my dear readers:
- 22 April: The Flower Parade
- 13 & 14 May: A [19th Century-themed] classical music festival (Romance at Keukenhof)
- 20 & 21 May: Flowers & Fashion Festival
To properly enjoy your day at Keukenhof, plan to spend at least half a day to take captivating photos and to enjoy the floricultural therapy.
If you have time, visit the 17th Century Castle Keukenhof across the Keukenhof. I, unfortunately, did not have time or maybe it wasn’t open at the time of my visit. The castle is open daily from 8am to 5pm (winter) or 7:30pm (summer) and admission is free.
Have a happy Easter!
Hours: M-Sun 8:00-19:30 (23 March – 21 May 2017)
- 16€ Adult entrance fee OR
- Buy a Combi Ticket: (Train +) Bus (e.g. from Amsterdam) + Entrance = 29+€
- If travelling from Amsterdam, you can catch a bus from Amsterdam Centre or Zuid Station to Schiphol Plaza.
- From Schiphol Plaza, take the Express bus 858 to Keukenhof.