Up on the hill of Dieppe in Normandy, France stands a 15th Century castle, Chateau de Dieppe.
The castle was originally built in 1188 but was destroyed in 1195. Eventually, the castle was restored and expanded between the 14-15th Centuries. In 1903, the town bought the castle and, until 1923, the castle house barracks. Today, the castle is a museum for Dieppe and Upper Normandy (Haute Normandie). The museum houses a collection of ivory, maritime artefacts, and belongings of renowned French composer, Camille Saint-Saëns (you might recognise his Danse Macabre and The Carnival of the Animals).
At the bottom of the hill, locals and visitors will find a plaque and memorial dedicated to the Canadian soldiers who fought, died, and were captured in 1942, as well as in honour of the soldiers from the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division who liberated Dieppe on 1 September 1944. To this day, the Dieppe inhabitants (mainly the middle-aged and elderly) are very grateful to all Canadians, whatever their ethnicity.
Although the museum is 4 Euros, it is free to wander around the exterior of the castle.