Thank goodness for technology! No more wasting time trying to calculate this and that or bringing a stack of loose papers with you. The following FREE apps for your smartphone will make travelling a lot easier! Please note: 1) most of the links are for iPhones so you’ll have to google the links for Android phones; 2) I haven’t tested all the apps but from what I’ve read or seen, they’re well-recommended!
Planning your trip
- Flight/Trains Research
- Paperless itineraries
- Pack with PackPoint – But I still prefer paper. I like being able to strike off what I’ve packed with a pen or pencil. 😛
From the airport to the sky
- Flight changes?
- No more jet lags with Jet Lag Rooster – In the past, I would check the time in my destination country and sleep based on that schedule. This app will tell you when to sleep and when to wake up!
In your destination city
- Need wi-fi where you are? Read more about Wi-Fi Finder here.
- Need a place to stay?
- Language Communication
- Getting around town
- Find the transit app, if there is one, for the city you’re travelling to. E.g. Munich (MVV), Paris (RATP), Toronto (GO)
- OR find out the best travelling route (cabbing, driving, walking, cycling, taking transit) and cost with
- Hail a cab with:
- Offline Maps (in case there’s no wifi or data)
- Desperately need the loo? Flush Toilet Finder will save you from doing the pee dance.
- Forgot something on your laptop/computer at home? LogMeIn allows you to remotely access documents or movies from your laptop or computer
- Keeping in touch (free calls and texts)
- Want to mail a personalised postcard?
- Some more suggestions:
- Does your mobile phone company have an app? This might be useful if you need to use data or calls/texts so you can monitor your usage.
- Taking the train? Download the apps for Eurostar, SNCF, Deutsche Bahn, Eurail, etc.
- Uploading #latergram photos from your travels? If your phone does not have geolocation information embedded in the photos, use Mappr before uploading the photo to Instagram.