Happy 1st day of June! It’s another 20 days or so until the first day of summer but I thought I should post now since it’s been much warmer and sunnier already. Here are 10 categories of products I use or wear during summer. I hope the products listed below will be as effective for you as they have been for me. Some of the images below are products that I like but have not tried.
1. Sunscreen (Sunblock, sun lotion)
I used to think that sunscreen was a magical cream that need only be applied once and would surround your body with a strong sun-repellant. I was very wrong. Sunscreen needs to be reapplied throughout the day (at least every 2 hours). Furthermore, it doesn’t matter if you buy 55 or 110 SPF. You still won’t get 100% protection from the sun’s rays. In fact, from 30SPF and up, you’ll only ever be getting around 90-97%.
If, like me, you don’t like the typical oily sunscreens, I suggest you try dry-touch sunscreens for the face and body from Vichy Capital Soleil Silkscreen Dry-Finish, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer (now includes liquid lotion for the face and a solid sunblock), or La Roche-Posay Anthelios Dry-touch Spray or Ultra-fluid Lotion. Now you have no excuse not to apply sunscreen!
Since sunscreen won’t give you full coverage, you will need to protect yourself with these:
You’ll need something to shade your face (and neck; shoulders too if possible) from the rays so try wide-brimmed straw hats! As sunglasses give me raccoon eyes (an unfortunate tan), I now wear hats to give me the shade I need. Or… you could be very old-fashioned or ‘Asian’ and carry a parasol. 😉
Look for something with UVA/UVB protection. Aside from not having to squint anymore, sunglasses also protect your eyes from the dust and pollution around.
4. Skin Care
- Lips: My go-to lip balm for summer is Kiehl’s Lip Balm SPF 15. It instantly smooths cracked or dry lips!
- Moisturise with face cream – The Body Shop’s Vitamin E Sorbet Boost has a pleasant cooling effect that is both refreshing and reviving!
5. Body Care
- Exfoliate once (or up to 3 times) a week to get rid of the dead skin cells in order to prevent body acne and ingrown hairs, and to keep skin soft and hydrated (read more here).
- Always moisturise! Try Body Shop’s Sorbet lotions (my two favourite scents are grapefruit and moringa)! They’re very refreshing for hot days!
- If you’re looking for a ‘BB cream for your legs’, try the pleasantly scented Jergens BB Body. If you’re looking for something more dramatic, try Natural Glow. I personally will avoid this one because if you don’t cover your skin evenly, once the sun shines on your skin, you’ll see where you’ve missed and you’ll get an uneven tan for at least a week. Also, pick the correct skin tone. Medium was too dark for me. 🙁 Another option is Karora’s CC Cream, which I would love to try!
6. Hair Care
- I’m terrible when it comes to my hair during summer. I just let the sun bleach my hair. However, there is sunscreen for your hair though I have yet to try one. See suggestions here.
- Dry shampoo: Apparently, you’re supposed to apply it the night before so that it has time to sink in and you don’t end up with white residue. My favourite is Herbal Essence’s Tapioca Naked Dry Shampoo – it’s sweetly scented with tapioca and has a cooling effect. Otherwise, Cake’s Volumising & Brilliant Finishing Shine Dry Shampoo has no white residue at all – but you have to like the scent of sweet cakes!
7. Make Up
- Primer: The Body Shop’s Tea Tree Pore Minimiser is my favourite primer! It has a cooling effect and it leaves skin matte. My second favourite primer is Cover FX’s SPF 30 Protection Primer.
- Foundation: I try to use foundation that has SPF, though I suppose having a primer with SPF helps, yes?
- Mascara: I always need smudge- and waterproof mascara. My favourite is Lancome Doll Lashes Waterproof.
- Eyeliner: Kohl has been traditionally used to reflect the rays from your eyes – so I’ve been told. Sometimes I think it does make a slight difference.
- Going somewhere humid? Urban Decay or Kat Von D‘s setting sprays will keep your makeup on.
Victoria’s Secret Bombshell is my signature scent that I use all year long but it’s the best during summer – the perfect combination of fruity and floral!
- Ballet flats / ballerinas can be worn anytime of the year. Geox shoes has a ‘breathing system’ to keep your feet dry but to let the perspiration out.
- When it comes to sandals, I wear Birkenstocks in lieu of flip flops for when I go for pedicures or just for a walk, or Clarks Wendy Land with their über comfortable bendables soles for long walks.
- Crocs: Not all Crocs are as hideous as the originals. I have a pair of ballerinas (Kadee) that are super comfortable for walking and for going to the beach. They’re easily cleaned so I brought these with me when I went canoeing and camping in 2012. Other options: Rio Flat (pointed toe), Adrina III Peep Toe, and Huarache Flat.
- An alternative to the above is Oka-b. These are also dishwasher-machine washable and are far more elegant. I wouldn’t wear these to go camping. ;p
- Wedges: Now you have height with more stability. These brands are some of the most comfortable ones: Clarks, Crocs, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, LifeStride, and Softmoc.
I am a dress/skirt girl so you’ll find me wearing flared skirts, maxi dresses, anything that’s loose and comfortable. 🙂