I’ve been a tea drinker since I was little, probably since I was in primary school (British schools). Last year, I had the pleasure of visiting the TWG tea store in Vancouver called the Urban Tea Merchant. They carry a wide selection of luxurious TWG teas, including black, green, oolong, white, and rooibos. If you ever have a chance to visit them, I highly recommend their teas, tea services (i.e. afternoon teas – there are many options to choose from!), and macarons!
Some of my favourite TWG teas are:
One can always find new flavours or season/event-themed teas at the Urban. For instance, coming up for Chinese New Year (Year of the Snake), TWG has launched 5 new teas:
If you are interested in visiting the UTM, you will be able to find them on Alberni St, near Thurlow. Reservations are recommended to be made in advance as their afternoon teas are very popular! All staff are very knowledgeable and professional so you won’t be disappointed!
Address: 1070 West Georgia Street
Phone: (604) 692-0071
Hours: 10am – 7pm
What are some benefits of drinking tea? Here’s a list of benefits taken from eatdrinkbetter.com:
- Tea contains antioxidants.
Antioxidants can help slow down the aging process, and help cells regenerate and repair. Many studies suggest antioxidants also assist our bodies in preventing cancer.
- Tea can lower stress hormone levels.
Black tea can reduce the effects of stressful events by lowering the amount of the stress hormone cortisol in the body.
- Tea fights cavities and reduces plaque.
Compounds in tea are capable of killing or suppressing growth and acid production of cavity causing bacteria in our mouths.
- Tea keeps you hydrated.
Every cup of tea you drink, especially low or no caffeine varieties, counts as a cup of water with the added bonus of providing antioxidants as well.
- Tea may reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack.
Tea can help prevent formation of dangerous blood clots which are often the cause of strokes and heart attacks.
- Tea can help lower blood pressure.
Drinking green tea daily can reduce your risk of hypertension by up to 50%.
- Tea aids your body in digestion.
Tea has been used for thousands of years as an after-meal digestive aid. It can also help relieve stomach cramps.
- Tea may help prevent diabetes.
There is some evidence to suggest that green tea might help to lower the risk of getting Type 2 Diabetes.
- Tea can help beat bacteria.
An Egyptian study testing the effects of green tea on antibiotics found the tea to enhance the bacteria killing effects of the drugs.
- Tea aids your immune defenses.
A study comparing the immune activity levels of coffee drinkers vs. tea drinkers found the tea drinkers to have levels up to five times higher.
What’s the best way to make a perfect cup of tea? Read some suggestions here:
- Drinks that can boost your Immune System (healthinessbox.com)
- Definition: White Tea (bellasugar.com)
- Tea and its benefits (rfmh411.wordpress.com)
- The health benefits of drinking tea (healthandcare.in)
- Downton Abbey Cook’s Tea Tuesdays: Your Online Guide to Afternoon Tea
- Tea-infused Cocktails at UTM
- Teas That Help Your Body (lorensworld.com)
- 6 Drinks to Help Cold and Flu Symptoms (belmarrahealth.com)
- Time for Tea (massageenvy.com)
- My Downton Tea Party on National TV (downtonabbeycooks.com)